Wednesday, February 18, 2015

WIP Wednesday


This coral and mint Pop Flowers quilt is like a huge iceberg, and what you're seeing here is just the tiny tip. But below the surface of this bit of progress is hours, days, weeks of much indecision, doubt, and frustration that absolutely sank my titanic. I just had to put it away for a bit.


And now my niece, who will be the recipient of this tear-stained quilt, is 11 days overdue. I think it may be my fault. Either she's already a spoiled princess who will not even arrive until she has a quilt waiting for her, or she's the sweetest little thing who is giving her poor ol' aunt the chance to come through. Yes, because it's all about me.

So, anyhow. With that set aside, I did what any good quilter does and started a new WIP. 

 

But... you guessed it -  I don't feel right about this one either, yet. There is something about it that I don't like but I just can't put my finger on it.


Maybe it's just that I don't do scrappy very well? As in, it doesn't feel natural to me to throw random fabrics together no matter what they look like next to each other. I love almost every scrappy quilt I have ever seen but when it comes to creating one... it just feels uncomfortable.


But I am forcing myself to finish it, as I suspect that I will love it once it quilted, washed, and drawn up in the dryer. It is a pattern by Lady Harvatine, and let me tell you - it's no joke! 13 template-cut pieces per block, each one taking me at least an hour. Only 44 left to go:) 


And here's a pic to prove that I actually do finish some things. Sometimes. Small as they may be.


You can find me on Instagram at @mandyloon!

7 comments:

Allison said...

Well, I|ll keep my fingers crossed for you that your much awaited niece is the second rather than the first.

Whether you do scrappy or not, I really like your progress. I sometimes have to pack things away and pull them back out before they make sense to me.

Finished is finished... large or small.

Greetings from Germany!

PeachPatchQuilts said...

Love the Lady Harvatine block, going to have to add it to my list of to do quilts

hydeeannsews said...

Oh, so funny about your niece! She will love that quilt whenever it comes. My baby quilts are usually late, often really late! They have their whole little lives to snuggle and trash their quilts so it'll be ok if they're late. I read recently of a Gma who was giving each grandchild their quilt when they turned two - on purpose. I think that's smart! I missed a few nephews during the last family baby boom and aiming for two now that theyre one is probably a good idea.

Your scrappy quilt is looking great from here! I know what you mean about it being uncomfortable to create even though you like seeing it. I'm the same way. I find putting projects in time out can really help, like you did. But you also might want to just push through it if that doesn't work for you. I bet it will grow on you once you are snuggling under it!

Sorry, I don't know why I had so much to say! Happy sewing. :)

Pieces of Cotton said...

I'm horrible with scrappy, but I think the key is stepping back a little. The shots you have of the whole thing look great, when you're seeing the pattern and the value of the fabrics rather than each individual piece of fabric.

Kat said...

I love the quilt with all the curved piecing, but I bet it is a booger to piece! Stick with it, it will be worth it when its done.

Patchwork Polly said...

The Lady Havatine blocks made my heart skip a little beat - they are lovely! I know what it's like thinking something is not quite right (ie all the time), but I think you'll appreciate their beauty when you haven't been so up-close to them for a while.

Hope your niece isn't waiting for her quilt - oh, her poor mother!

Edi said...

Ingin memperoleh info menang judi dan video bokep lengkap, segera kunjungi situs yang ada dibawah ini.

Info Jitu
Koin Pulsa
Cheat Pasti
Cheat Game Onlines
Situs Panas